Saturday, November 28, 2015

Vanishing Girls

Bibliographic Information
Title: Vanishing Girls
Author: Lauren Oliver
Type of Media: text
Publisher: Harper Collins
Copyright Date: March 10, 2015
ISBN: 978-0062224101
Genre: Mystery/Thriller, Realistic Fiction
Curriculum Ties: Mental Illness
Reading Level: Lexile 890
Interest Age: 14+






Plot Summary
Dara and Nick were once the best of friends who did everything together, but when these two sisters got into a terrible car accident, Nick was left scarred and the two stopped talking. When Dara suddenly disappears on her birthday Nick starts an elaborate search to find her and another missing girl. As she digs into her sisters whereabouts and happenings the story slowly becomes more dark and disturbing until you are suddenly blind sided by the ending.

Critical Evaluation
Oliver writes a compelling dark thriller focused on two sisters who are trying to find themselves and each other after an accident changes everything. The plotline of this novel is not what it may seem but in the end it is all tied together with a bow. You will be utterly surprised and will find yourself wondering how you missed the signs. The plotline alone makes this book worth reading but it has more than that with a main character who will melt your heart. You will struggle along with her through all of the tough times, it is impossible to not get completely consumed in this thriller.

Reader's Annotation
With a story twist like no other this book will leave you breathless.

Author Biography
I was born in Queens and raised in Westchester, New York, in a small town very similar to the one depicted in Before I Fall. My parents are both literature professors, and from a very early age, my sister and I were encouraged to make up stories, draw, paint, dance around in costumes, and essentially spend much of our time living imaginatively. Our house was old and full of art and towers and towers of books, and that’s still the kind of house I like best.
I started writing as a way of extending my love of reading; when I read a book I loved, I would continue to write sequels for it (I was inadvertently a fan fic writer, before “fan fiction” was even a term!). Later on, I began working on my own stories, and keeping company with a lot of imaginary friends.
I pursued literature and philosophy at the University of Chicago, and then moved back to New York to attend NYU’s MFA program in creative writing. I simultaneously began working at Penguin Books, in a young adult division called Razorbill, and while there, I started work on Before I Fall. I left in 2009 to pursue writing full-time, and now I happily work in my pajamas every day.
I have a variety of interests apart from writing, including reading, cooking, traveling, dancing, running, and making up weird songs. Some of my favorite things are: being cozy; fires; autumn; fuzzy slippers; very high heels; great wine; dark chocolate; ketchup; pasta. Things I hate: practical shoes, liars, and bananas. I divide my time between Brooklyn, upstate New York, and various hotel rooms.
 
Oliver, L. (n.d.) Biography. Retrieved from http://www.laurenoliverbooks.com./biography.php

Book Talk Ideas
  • Plot twists
  • Sibling relationships
Possible Challenges
  • Alcohol and drug use
  • Language
  • Sexual content
Defense File
  • Have the library's selection policy and the Library Bill of Rights ready to hand out
  • Access to honest reviews from trusted sources
  • Know the awards, if any, the book has earned
  • Understand the material so you can explain the use of the book as a good talking point for serious and sensitive issues
  • A lot of times people just want their concerns heard, so make sure you listen
  • If they are still persistent be able to offer them a reconsideration form
  •  
    Reason for InclusionI have never before read a story with a plot twist quite like this one. I applaud Oliver in this beautifully written story that will keep you guessing until the very end.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment