Saturday, November 28, 2015

Delirium

Bibliographic Information
Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Type of Media: text
Publisher: Harper Collins
Copyright Date: February 1, 2011
ISBN: 978-0061726828
Genre: Sci-Fi Dystopian
Curriculum Ties: N/A
Reading Level: Lexile 920
Interest Age: 14+






Plot Summary
Love is a disease which must be eradicated, it makes people do and say stupid things and gives someone else too much control over your life. In order to eradicate the disease everyone is given the cure when they turn 18. Lena, saw her mom succumb to the disease so she is looking forward to the day she gets the cure and is assigned a husband and role within society, at that point she will know that she is safe. That is until she meets Alex, a young man who is from a rebel community who lives within the wild. What will Lena do when she starts to have feelings for him that she cannot explain. Is she falling victim to love or is the government behind a much bigger scheme?

Critical Evaluation
Delirium is a well written nail bitter of a love story that you will instantly fall in love with. The characters are so well written and believable that you cannot help but feel their pain, joy, and everything in between. You find yourself connecting to Lena and Alex and rooting for them throughout the story. This is evidence that Oliver is superb at character development, they are deep and relatable.
The plot is always beautifully written as it is fast paced and intriguing with new information behind every corner. Lauren knows how to keep the story running smoothly through the peaks and valleys of the plot all the way to the climax which will leave you wanting so much more. This book is a definite read for anyone who likes a good Romeo and Juliet type romance with a SciFi twist.

Reader's Annotation
You will find yourself wanting to scream through the pages at the characters as you become immersed in their world. This is a book not to be missed.

Author Biography
I was born in Queens and raised in Westchester, New York, in a small town very similar to the one depicted in Before I Fall. My parents are both literature professors, and from a very early age, my sister and I were encouraged to make up stories, draw, paint, dance around in costumes, and essentially spend much of our time living imaginatively. Our house was old and full of art and towers and towers of books, and that’s still the kind of house I like best.
I started writing as a way of extending my love of reading; when I read a book I loved, I would continue to write sequels for it (I was inadvertently a fan fic writer, before “fan fiction” was even a term!). Later on, I began working on my own stories, and keeping company with a lot of imaginary friends.
I pursued literature and philosophy at the University of Chicago, and then moved back to New York to attend NYU’s MFA program in creative writing. I simultaneously began working at Penguin Books, in a young adult division called Razorbill, and while there, I started work on Before I Fall. I left in 2009 to pursue writing full-time, and now I happily work in my pajamas every day.
I have a variety of interests apart from writing, including reading, cooking, traveling, dancing, running, and making up weird songs. Some of my favorite things are: being cozy; fires; autumn; fuzzy slippers; very high heels; great wine; dark chocolate; ketchup; pasta. Things I hate: practical shoes, liars, and bananas. I divide my time between Brooklyn, upstate New York, and various hotel rooms.
 
Oliver, L. (n.d.) Biography. Retrieved from http://www.laurenoliverbooks.com./biography.php

Book Talk Ideas
  • What makes something a disease?
  • Would you want to live without love if it meant no drama?
Possible Challenges
  • Teen sexual content
  • Violence
Defense File
  • Have the library's selection policy and the Library Bill of Rights ready to hand out
  • Access to honest reviews from trusted sources
  • Know the awards, if any, the book has earned
  • Understand the material so you can explain the use of the book as a good talking point for serious and sensitive issues
  • A lot of times people just want their concerns heard, so make sure you listen
  • If they are still persistent be able to offer them a reconsideration form
 
Reason for Inclusion
This book by Lauren Oliver is as exciting as they come with love, drama, and growing up. Delirium received starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal, and was named a Best Book of the year by USA Today, Kirkus, Amazon, YALSA, and the Chicago Public Library and was selected as one of NPR's Top 100 Best Ever Teen Novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment